June 6, 2021
The Custody of the Holy Land Latin Custodia Terræ Sanctæ) is a custodian priory of the Order of Friars Minor in Jerusalem founded as the Province of the Holy Land in 1217 by Saint Francis of Assisi, who had also founded the Franciscan Order in 1209. In 1342, the Franciscans were declared by two papal bulls as the official custodians of the Holy Places in the name of the Catholic Church. The Custody headquarters are located in the Monastery of Saint Savouir a 16th-century Franciscan monastery near the New Gate in the Old City of Jerusalem. The office can bestow— only to those entering its office—the Jerusalem Pilgrim’s Cross upon deserving Catholic visitors to the city The Franciscans trace their presence in the Holy Land to 1217. By 1229, the friars had a small house near the fifth station of the Via Dolorosa and in 1272 were permitted to settle in the Cenacle on Mount Zion. In 1309, they also settled in Bethlehem and the Holy Sepulcher along with the Cannons Regular. After the final fall of the second Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem in 1291, the title of Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem was vested in the Custody ex officio in Rome, while resuming its activities in the Holy Land, including surveilling the accolades of the Order of the Holy Sepulcher 1342–1489 until its Grand Ministry was vested in the papacy. Following the restoration of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem as residential episcopal see in 1847, the Patriarch henceforth additionally assumed the position of the order's ecclesiastical superior, eventually supplanting the Custody of the Holy land as Grand Prior of the Order of the Holy Sepulcher. The Custody of the Holy Land has repeatedly expressed concern about the survival of the Christians in the Holy Land, including the strained situation for Christians in the rest of the Middle East. Between 2004 and 2016, the Custodial Curia was led by Custos Fr. Pier Battista Pizzaballa. Since 2016, the chief custodian has been Francesco Patton. The mission of the Custody of the Holy Land is to guard "the grace of the Holy Places" of the Holy Land and the rest of the Middle East, "sanctified by the presence of Jesus” as well as pilgrims visiting them, on behalf of the Catholic Church.
CHL Oldest known portrait in existence of the saint who founded the Order of Friars Minor and its Custody of the Holy Land, dating back to Saint Francis' retreat to Subiaco (1223–1224); depicted without the stigmata.
An online history, The Franciscan Presence in the Holy Land, has been prepared by the Custodian Emeritus (later Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem), Pier Battista Pizzaballa, OFM. The Franciscan presence in the Holy Land started in 1217, when the province of Syria was established, with Frater (Brother) Elias of Cortona as Minister. By 1229, the friars had a small house near the fifth station of the Via Dolorosa. In 1272, the Sultan Baibars of Egypt permitted the Franciscans to settle in the Cenacle (also called the Upper Room) on Mount Sion. Later on, in 1309, they also settled in Bethlehem and in the Holy Sepulcher, along with the Canons Regular.
Saint Francis before Sultan Al-Kamil of Egypt, witnessing the trial by fire (wall fresco, Giotto) In 1333, Robert d'Anjou, King of Naples, and his wife, Sancia of Majorca, bought the Cenacle from the Sultan of Egypt and gave it to the Franciscans. In 1342, Pope Clement VI, by the Papal bulls Gratiam agimus and Nuper charissimae declared the Franciscans as the official custodians of the Holy Places in the name of the Catholic Church A portion reads:
A short time ago, good news from the king and queen reached our Apostolic See, relating that, at great cost and following difficult negotiations, they had obtained a concession from the Sultan of Babylon [that is, Cairo]. Who, to the intense shame of Christians, occupies the Holy Sepulcher of the Lord and the other Holy Places. Beyond the sea that were sanctified by the blood of this same Redeemer. To wit that friars of your Order, may reside continuously in the church known as the Sepulcher. To celebrate their Solemn Sung Masses and the Divine Office in the manner of the several friars of this Order who are already present in this place. Moreover, this same Sultan has also conceded to the King and Queen, the Cenacle of the Lord. The chapel where the Holy Spirit was manifested to the Apostles and the other chapel in which Christ appeared to the Apostles after his resurrection, in the presence of Blessed Thomas. The news of how the Queen built a convent on Mount Zion where, as is known, the Cenacle and the said chapels are located. Where for some time she has had the intention of supporting twelve friars of your Order to assure the Divine Liturgy in the church of the Holy Sepulcher, along with three laymen charged with serving the friars and seeing to their needs.
CHL Church of the Holy Sepulchre (1885). Other than some restoration work, its appearance has essentially not changed since 1854. The Immovable Ladder, the small ladder below the top-right window, is also visible in recent photographs; this has remained in the same position since 1754 over a disagreement to remove it.
The Custodian was described as the "Guardian of Mount Zion in Jerusalem". Between 1342 and 1489, the Custodian was the head of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre and held the ex officio title of Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem. From 1374, he was based at the Basilica di San Lorenzo fuori le Mura in Rome.In 1489, Pope Innocent VIII suppressed the Order of the Holy Sepulchre and ruled that it was to be merged with the Knights Hospitaller. In 1496, Pope Alexander VI, restored the Order of Holy Sepulchre to independent status, but the Custodian ceased to be the head of the Order. Instead, a Grand Master of the Order was created, and the office vested in the papacy. The Custodian continued to act as the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem ex officio until 1830, and by being appointed to both offices until 1905. The office of Grand Master remained vested in the papacy until 1949.[10] On 29 August 2011, Archbishop Edwin Frederick O'Brien was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI Grand Master to succeed Cardinal John Patrick Foley, who resigned the office on 24 February 2011 due to ill health. The Order is a member of many international bodies and has observer status at others (such as the United Nations). The Grand Master is a papal viceroy who assists Vatican diplomacy with procedural support for making motions, proposing amendments and requiring votes in the sphere of international diplomacy. Franciscan friars cared for the Cenacle, restoring also the building with Gothic vaults, until 1552 when the Turks captured Jerusalem and banished all Christians. After the Franciscan friars' eviction, the Cenacle was transformed into a mosque. Christians were not allowed to use the room for prayer until the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948.In 1623, the Latin Province of the Holy Land was split into a number of smaller entities, called Custodies – creating Custodies of Cyprus, Syria, and the Holy Land proper. The Custody of the Holy Land included the monasteries of Saint-Jeand'Acre, Antioch, Sidon, Tyre, Jerusalem and Jaffa.In 1847, a resident Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem was restored in the Holy Land, together with the Order of the Holy Sepulchre. The Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem became the ecclesiastical superior of the Order, and eventually assumed the title Grand Prior, supplanting the Custodian. The office of Grand Master still remained vested in the papacy.In 1937, Alberto Gori was appointed Custodian of the Holy Land, an office he would occupy until 1949, when he was appointed Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, an office he held until 1970. In Gori's reports to the Vatican in the 1940s, he was critical of Jewish and later Israeli forces, whom he accused of destruction of holy places Despite repeated Israeli assurances that Israel will guarantee freedom of religion and safeguard the Holy Places of all religions, Pope Pius XII issued several encyclicals expressing concerns about the holy places as well as access. In 1949, at the time of appointing Gori to the office of Latin Patriarch, Pius XII also relinquished the title of Grand Master
CHL Franciscan monks during the procession on the Calvary in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre(2006)
On 15 May 2004, Fr. Pierbattista Pizzaballa was appointed Custodian of the Holy Land succeeding Giovanni Battistelli, who held the office for six years On Friday, 28 June 2013, Pope Francis confirmed that he would continue as Custodian for at least a further three years. Pierbattista Pizzaballa was born in Cologno al Serio, Italy, on 21 April 1965. He was ordained a priest in September 1990. Since 2016, the chief custodian has been Francesco Patton. The Custodian of the Holy Land, also called the International Custodian of the Holy Land, is appointed by the General Definitorium of the Order of Friars Minor (OFM) of the Franciscans and approved by the Pope and the Holy See. The Custodian has the role of Minister Provincial (i.e. major superior) of the Franciscans living in Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, parts of Egypt, Cyprus and Rhodes. The Custody has about 300 friars and about 100 sisters in these countries. The Franciscans serve the principal Christian shrines, including the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem and the Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth During the later Middle Ages and early modern times the Custody was official provider of hospitality for Latin pilgrims to the Holy Land, i.e. Westerners be they Catholic or Protestant. Such facilities existed primarily at Jaffa and in Jerusalem
Palestinian Christian scouts on Christmas Eve in front of the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem (2006
The Franciscan order owns a great deal of property in the Holy Land, second only to the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem. In addition to the major shrines of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem and the Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem, which the Franciscans own and administer in common with the Jerusalem Orthodox and Armenian Orthodox patriarchates, the Custodian also cares for 74 shrines and sanctuaries throughout the Holy Land, including properties in Syria and Jordan. In 1909, in the territory of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, re-instituted in 1847, the Franciscans had 24 convents and 15 parishes, including numerous schools. The Custodian's offices are at the Monastery of St Saviour, a 16th-century Franciscan monastery near New Gate in the Old City of Jerusalem.Schools founded by the Franciscan friars include Terra Santa College in Nicosia, Cyprus and Magnificat Institute in Jerusalem.
List of Custodians of the Holy Land
|
Century |
Custodians |
Century |
Custodians |
|---|---|---|---|
|
13th |
1217 – Elia da Cortona |
14th |
1333 – Rogero Guarini |
|
1219 – San Francesco d’Assisi |
1337 – Giovanni di Stefano |
||
|
1247 – Giacomo (Narciso?) |
1337 – Giacomo Normanno |
||
|
1266 – Giacomo da Puy |
? – Nicola di Giovanni |
||
|
? – Vincentius de Burgundia |
1363 – Bernardino da Padova |
||
|
1270? – Giovannino da Parma |
1372 – Antonio di Giacomo |
||
|
1286 – Geleberto |
1376 – Nicolò da Creta (o Candia) |
||
|
1306 – Guido |
1382 – Giovanni |
||
|
1310 – Rogero Guarini |
1384 – Nicolò da Venezia |
||
|
1328 – Nicolò da San Martino |
1388 – Gerardo Calvetti |
||
|
1330 – Giovanni Fedanzola |
|||
|
15th |
1400 – Nicolò Coronario |
16th |
1501 – Mauro da San Bernardino |
|
1405 – Nicolò di Pietro |
1504 – Luigi da Napoli |
||
|
1421 – Giacomo di Antonio |
1507 – Bernardino del Vecchio |
||
|
1424 – Giovanni Belloro |
1512 – Francesco Suriano |
||
|
1430 – Luigi da Bologna |
1514 – Nicolò da Tossignano |
||
|
1434 – Giacomo Delfino |
1517 – Zenobio da Firenze |
||
|
1438 – Gandolfo da Sicilia |
1518 – Gabriele ? |
||
|
1446 – Baldassare da Santa Maria |
1519 – Angelo da Ferrara |
||
|
1455 – Antonio da Mugnano |
1528 – Giovanni |
||
|
1462 – Gabriele Mezzavacca |
1532 – Mario da Messina |
||
|
1464 – Paolo d’Albenga |
1532 – Battista da Macerata |
||
|
1467 – Francesco da Piacenza |
1535 – Tomaso da Norcia |
||
|
1472 – Andrea da Parma |
1541 – Dionisio da Sarcognano |
||
|
1475 – Giacomo d’Alessandria |
1544 – Giorgio Bosnese |
||
|
1478 – Giovanni de Thomacellis |
1545 – Felice da Venezia |
||
|
1481 – Paolo da Canneto |
1547 – Bonaventura Corsetti |
||
|
1484 – Bernardino da Parma |
1551 – Bonifacio Stefani |
||
|
1487 – Francesco da Perugia |
1559 – Antonio da Bergamo |
||
|
1487 – Bernardino Caimo |
1560 – Aurelio da Griano |
||
|
1489 – Bartolomeo da Piacenza |
1564 – Bonifacio Stefani |
||
|
1493 – Francesco Suriano |
1565 – Bernardino da Collestate |
||
|
1495 – Angelo da Foligno |
1566 – Girolamo da Fossato |
||
|
1496 – Bartolomeo da Piacenza |
1568 – Angelo da Portomaurizio |
||
|
1499 – Antonio Gozze de Regnis |
1568 – Gian Francesco d’Arsignano |
||
|
1571 – Antonio da Sant’Angelo |
|||
|
17th |
1600 – Francesco Manerba |
18th |
1704 – Bonaventura da Majori |
|
1603 – Cesario da Trino |
1704 – Benedetto da Bari |
||
|
1608 – Gaudenzio Saibanti |
1705 – Costantino Ultorchi |
||
|
1612 – Angelo da Messina |
1706 – Gaetano Potestà |
||
|
1616 – Basilio Basili |
1710 – Lorenzo Cozza |
||
|
1619 – Francesco Dulcedo |
1716 – Giuseppe Maria da Perugia |
||
|
1620 – Tommaso Obicini |
1720 – Gian Filippo da Milano |
||
|
1621 – Ambrogio Pantoliano |
1722 – Giacomo da Lucca |
||
|
1622 – Francesco Spinelli |
1730 – Andrea da Montoro |
||
|
1625 – Sante da Messina |
1735 – Angelico da Gazolo |
||
|
1628 – Diego Campanile |
1740 – Paolo da Laurino |
||
|
1632 – Paolo da Lodi |
1743 – Giacomo da Lucca |
||
|
1634 – Francesco da Cattaro |
1744 – Desiderio da Casabasciana |
||
|
1637 – Andrea d’Arco |
1751 – Prospero Zinelli |
||
|
1642 – Pietro Verniero |
1754 – Pio da Mentone |
||
|
1645 – Francesco Merisi |
1756 – Domenico da Venezia |
||
|
1648 – Antonio da Gaeta |
1762 – Paolo da Piacenza |
||
|
1651 – Ambrogio Pantoliano |
1767 – Luigi da Bastia |
||
|
1652 – Mariano Morone |
1773 – Valeriano Bellandi |
||
|
1659 – Eusebio Valles |
1773 – Gian Domenico da Levigliano |
||
|
1664 – Francesco M. Rhini |
1795 – Placido da Roma |
||
|
1669 – Teofilo Testa |
1798 – Ladislao da Viterbo |
||
|
1673 – Claudio Gavazzi |
|||
|
1675 – Tomaso da Caltagirone |
19th |
1801 – Zenobio Puccini |
|
|
1675 – Giovanni Bonsignori |
1805 – Bonaventura da Nola |
||
|
1678 – Pier Marino Sormani |
1808 – Giuseppe M. Pierallini |
||
|
1683 – Pier Antonio Grassi |
1815 – Girolamo da Osimo |
||
|
1686 – Angelico da Milano |
1817 – Salvatore Antonio da Malta |
||
|
1689 – Gregorio da Parghelia |
1820 – Ugolino Cesarini |
||
|
1691 – Gian Battista d’Atina |
1822 – Gian Antonio da Rogliano |
||
|
1695 – Baldassare Caldera |
1825 – Tomaso da Montasola |
||
|
1697 – Francesco da Santo Floro |
1831 – Francesco di S. Lorenzo alle Grotte |
||
|
1835 – Francesco Saverio da Malta |
|||
|
1838 – Perpetuo Guasco |
|||
|
1841 – Cherubino Maria da Cori |
|||
|
1843 – Cherubino da Civezza |
|||
|
1847 – Bernardino Trionfetti |
|||
|
1857 – Bonaventura Robotti |
|||
|
1863 – Serafino Milani |
|||
|
1874 – Gaudenzio Bonfigli |
|||
|
1880 – Guido Corbelli |
|||
|
1886 – Aurelio Briante |
|||
|
1888 – Giacomo Ghezzi |
|||
|
1894 – Aurelio Briante |
|||
|
20th |
1900 – Frediano Giannini |
21st |
2004 – Pier Battista Pizzaballa |
|
1906 – Roberto Razzoli |
2016 – Francesco Patton |
||
|
1914 – Onorato Carcaterra |
|||
|
1915 – Serafino Cimino |
|||
|
1918 – Ferdinando Diotallevi |
|||
|
1925 – Aurelio Marotta |
|||
|
1931 – Nazzareno Jacopozzi |
|||
|
1937 – Alberto Gori |
|||
|
1950 – Giacinto Maria Faccio |
|||
|
1955 – Angelico Lazzeri |
|||
|
1957 – Alfredo Polidori |
|||
|
1962 – Vincenzo Cappiello |
|||
|
1968 – Alfonso Calabrese |
|||
|
1969 – Erminio Roncari |
|||
|
1974 – Maurilio Sacchi |
|||
|
1980 – Ignazio Mancini |
|||
|
1986 – Carlo Cecchitelli |
|||
|
1992 – Giuseppe Nazzaro |
|||
|
1998 – Giovanni Battistelli |




No comments:
Post a Comment